Environment Friendly Information Technology
Green information technology (IT) plays an important role in minimizing the negative environmental impacts resulting from the production and use of IT equipment, as well as other activities in the community. This includes control of global warming and other environmental problems.
What is Green IT?
Green IT contributes to the development of environmentally friendly production methods, which includes the different phases in the lifecycle of a product – the development, production, usage and finally, the disposal of IT waste in an environmentally correct manner which causes no damage to the environment.
Green IT Facts
- The production of a single PC requires 1.7 tonnes of raw materials and water.
- The average lifespan of a computer has fallen from six years in 1997 to just two years in 2005.
- On average, 30% of the power used by a normal computer is pure waste due to the computer being left on when not in use.
- Every time an employee works from home using IT, it saves on transportation and thus CO2 emissions.
- Every time an IT-regulated intelligent power-regulator turns off the lights, turns down the heat or turns off the air-conditioning, CO2 emissions are reduced.
- Every time a company or public authority produces more efficiently with the help of IT, CO2 emissions are reduced.
- Every time catalogues, advertisements and letters are replaced by electronic documents and e-mails, CO2 emissions are reduced.
Participate with us by sharing your environmentally friendly ideas and suggestions to achieve the objectives of Green IT implementation ..